One of the greatest joys of being a children’s pastor is talking to kids who have questions about trusting Jesus for salvation. When a child is beginning to ask questions about becoming a Christian, parents can sometimes become overwhelmed with how to talk to their kids about salvation. Here are a few things to keep in mind when your child begins to ask questions pertaining to salvation:
- Ask open ended questions such as, “What do you believe God is telling you?” or “What does the Bible say about that?”
- Avoid yes or no questions such as “Do you want to go to heaven?” or even better, “Do you want to go to hell?”
- Listen -Sometimes kids just want to talk. They want to tell you what they think God may be saying to them or simply talk through what baptism or salvation means. Sometimes they may have questions about what they witnessed during an invitation at church and what happens during a time of invitation. Listen for what they want to know about, and affirm whatever it is that is on their minds.
- Check for understanding of sin, specifically understanding that they are sinners and that their sin has separated them from God.
- Point them to scripture: If they are able, allow children the opportunity to read scripture out of the Bible. Then, check for understanding of the scripture by once again asking open ended questions.
- Avoid putting too much emphasis on a prayer. While prayer is the avenue we use to talk to God and ask for forgiveness of sin, we also need to emphasize that it is not a prayer that saves us -it is our belief – and our acceptance of what He did for us on the cross. It’s understanding our need of Jesus because we are sinners and believing that He did what scripture teaches-that He lived, He died, and He rose again.
- Pray – Pray for your children, and ask God for wisdom in pointing them to Him.
I’m excited to walk alongside you as we minister to your kids together. I’m praying and believing that He can and will do great things in the lives of our Vine Kids.
Here are the BIG THINGS you need to know about.
We will be collecting Food items all month long instead of candy this year to help our neighbors.(October 8,15,22,29) We will have the school buckets out in the lobby to drop off your donations.
ONE // UPROAR
>Next Week’s Memory Verse – Galatians 2:20, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."
** please help your child learn this verse by next Wednesday.
> Points for Uproar!
- Learning 1 bible verse a week
- Bringing their Bible
- Wearing their wrist bands
- Wearing their T-Shirt
- Bringing a Friend
- Dress Up on Theme Night **can be found attached
TWO // Trunk or Treat 2.0
> Sign up to be a Trunk or Treat hub throughout our city and take Trunk or Treat to our neighbors!
> If you'd like to be a host home throughout the metroplex, email Grady for information.
> Contact [email protected]