Top 10 Cultural Artifacts From 2017
Culture is to humanity like water is to a fish. It surrounds, sustains, and shapes us yet often we can’t even see it. By definition, culture is the sum total of attitudes, customs, habits, and beliefs of a particular society providing an overall meaning to life. Theologian John Kavanaugh says culture is “a gospel”, that “quietly converts, elicits commitments, transforms, and suggests human fulfillments.” And in so doing it reveals what we value and believe. Culture is made by humanity, but in many ways it is making us, forming us into its own image. Here’s our list of the top 10 cultural artifacts that shaped the next generation in 2017.
- Top 10 Movies: From Wonder Woman to Dunkirk, these films not only entertained, but changed how we see the world.
- Top 10 Songs: Rolling Stone ranks Harry Styles “Sign of the Times” as the song of the year, with Lorde’s “Homemade Dynamite” coming in a close second. Listen to all 10 songs and see if you can capture the spirit of this generation.
- Top 10 Binge: Netflix revealed the top 10 most binged shows in 2017, including Riverdaleand 13 Reasons Why.
- Top 10 YouTube Stars: Business Insider ranks the richest YouTube sensations from 2017, reminding us that today’s teens find these stars far more relatable and influential than mainstream celebs.
- Top 10 Video Games: Time Magazine believes The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is this year’s top-ranked video game. Check out their complete list here.
- Top 15 Social Media Moments: Billboard.com ranks the top 15 viral moments of 2017, including Lady Gaga’s SuperBowl performance and Justin Bieber’s return to Instagram.
- Top 27 Books: Seventeen Magazine lists the top 27 books for young adults. Ask your teen if they’ve read The Hate U Give or We Are Okay, and what they thought about them.
- Top 10 Apps: WhatsApp, SnapChat, and Telegram rule the roost with teens, but look for these three app trends to shape the market in 2018.
- Top Sports Moments: 2017 was replete with last second shots, championships, and upsets. Check out USA Today’s list of the best moments in sports from this past year.
- Top 10 Gadgets: Sherry Turkle says “we are all cyborgs now”, spending hour upon hour each day with the latest tech invention. Here’s the top 10 gadgets that grabbed our attention this year.
If you haven't already signed up for the Culture Translator, do it this year! It's a FREE resource that is emailed to you every Friday. Stay up to date with youth culture and engage your students intentionally in conversation this new year!